[linux-lvm] snapshot with 2.6.5 kernel

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Mon May 3 06:42:05 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am running a patched 2.6.5 kernel and using lvm2. Everything
looks ok, but the snapshot may be having problems. Else I just
may be ignorant about how to use the snapshot.

Here is what I am doing on a generic X86 server. I create a logical
volume group out of a number of PEs that are properly configured. Then I
create a logical volume. Then I start to dump a very large tar file
into the logical volume. As this tar file is inflating the files into
the logical volume, I then simultaneously create a snapshot volume of
the recently created logical volume. The very large tar archive that
was in the process of inflating its contents continues for a while,
but finally just crashes and hangs at some point.

Am I missunderstanding how to use snapshot here? Or is this just
severly broken software? Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer