[linux-lvm] 2.6 upgrade - LVM version ? & root partition access problems...

Jeffrey Layton jtlayton at poochiereds.net
Wed May 5 15:06:27 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 18:08, Peter Valdemar Mørch wrote:
> Well, I did finally did get it to work. Quite a strenuous road, though.
> For others that may google later, here are some of the things I ran
> into, and their solutions:
>
> 1) There was no console. The script created /dev/consoleonly, but I had
> & needed /dev/console.

Sorry for the late post. I've hit this too when setting up a new box.
The problem here is that the kernel or init (?) requires a /dev/console
device very early in the boot process, before udev gets mounted.

This means that even if you're using udev (and maybe devfs) then you
still need some static entries in /dev that will be overlayed by the
udev ramdisk. Obviously, this is a difficult problem to correct in the
mkinitrd script, since you'd have to unmount /dev to make sure those
entries were present.

I'll prob. add something about this to the README sometime, when I get a
chance to work on this script...

-- Jeff