[linux-lvm] 2.6 upgrade - LVM version ? & root partition access problems...

Peter Valdemar Morch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Mon May 3 16:26:20 UTC 2004

AJ Lewis alewis-at-redhat.com |Lists| wrote:
> Bah - I guess I should have pointed you at the fedora mkinitrd - it might
> have saved you the hassle.  :(

> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/mkinitrd-3.5.21-1.i386.rpm
> is the current version AFAIK.  I think this will work better with RH9
> systems than the other one (which was originally built around debian)

Possibly. I can't get it to work with either 2.6.5 or my 2.4 image, though:

valde at peter:~> rpm -q mkinitrd
mkinitrd-3.5.21-1
valde at peter:~> sudo mkinitrd ost.img 2.6.5
No module raid1 found for kernel 2.6.5, aborting.
valde at peter:~> sudo mkinitrd ost.img 2.4.20-20.9custom
pvscan -- LVM driver/module not loaded?

(While I'm running in a 2.6 kernel. module raid1 is not not found for
2.6.5 because I've built it into the kernel now. I can't be bothered to
test it as a module at this point)

>>I've created a new version (incl. svn diff) of the script here:
>>http://wwww.XXXXXXXXX/postings/lvm2/

Wups, what happened with the extra 'w' (4 in all)? It does work, though...

> K - so if the fedora mkinitrd doesn't work for people using RH9, they can
> try that one. :)  Thanks!

To make as few changes as possible, RH9 users will have to edit it and
uncomment these lines

INITRDSIZE=4096
INITRDINODES=5000

and run it with the -d option, such as in
# lvm2create_initrd.sh -d 2.6.5

Also, I forgot to mention something weird. If I attempt to boot my old
2.4 kernel, fsck complains. Booting with kernel option " fastboot" gets
me past the fsck point, all the way to the final login screen. However,
in the 2.4 kernel, I no longer have keyboard or mouse support. But I can
ssh into it from outside. Rebooting again into 2.6 also stops at fsck,
so the " fastboot" is required *again*. When running in 2.6, I then run
"lvm vgmknodes" and then it can boot in 2.6 fsck and all - no problemo.
But it seems I've passed the point of no-return-to-2.4.

Later,

Peter

--
Peter Valdemar Mørch