[linux-lvm] HA Fileserver configuration recommendation sought.

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Sat Nov 20 00:22:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 04:13:45PM -0800, Dan Stromberg alleged:
> On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 11:24 -0800, David S. wrote:
> > You can use PVFS2 (http://www.pvfs.org/pvfs2/) to aggregate disks from
> > multiple servers into on big file system.  Though PVFS2 is specifically
> > designed for parallel applications, and may not be suited for your
> > purposes.  You can sort-of do it with AFS (http://www.openafs.org),
> > with mutiple file servers servicing the same name space.  AFS is again
> > rather different from an "ordinary" file system, however.  I know you
> > can do it with IBM's GPFS (http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/clusters/software/gpfs.html);
> > we use GPFS here on two servers attached to an IBM SAN to create a
> > 6.5T file system.  But if you decide to take a run at GPFS, don't
> > blame me.
>
> Does PVFS2 have posix semantics these days?

No.  I was at the pvfs2 BOF and SC04 last week and this is one of their selling
points... much greater scalibity and performance by throwing out half of POSIX.

> My understanding is that IBM will only support GPFS on IBM hardware...

Nor is it really FOSS.

Ultimately, it seems to me that GFS over clustered LVM is the way to go; though
all the bits don't seem to be quite in place just yet.

University of Southern California