[linux-lvm] HA Fileserver configuration recommendation sought.

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Sat Nov 20 01:36:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 16:22 -0800, Garrick Staples wrote:
> > Does PVFS2 have posix semantics these days?
>
> No.  I was at the pvfs2 BOF and SC04 last week and this is one of their selling
> points... much greater scalibity and performance by throwing out half of POSIX.

Thanks for the info!

> > My understanding is that IBM will only support GPFS on IBM hardware...
>
> Nor is it really FOSS.

I see.  Is it kind of like the Sun Java or Mozilla licenses?

> Ultimately, it seems to me that GFS over clustered LVM is the way to go; though
> all the bits don't seem to be quite in place just yet.

What's this "clustered LVM" thing?  Is it the same as (or built upon)
NBD/ENBD?  Does it have the 2 terabyte or 16 terabyte limits?  Google
just turns up some mailing list hits at the top - is there a "stable"
release of CLVM yet?

Thanks!