[linux-lvm] LVM2 features

Eric Hopper hopper at omnifarious.org
Fri Oct 15 15:08:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 10:15:07AM +0200, John Seifarth wrote:
> Eric Hopper posted the query below last weekend, but I've seen no
> replies on the list.

Here are the things I've seen...

Snapshots of the root partition seem dodgey.  Someone claims that they
work on the latest LVM2 client library.

Snapshots of other partitions seem to work OK.

pvmove has lots of weird and arcane limitations that make no sense to me
at all.  It acted very strangely and seemed to lock parts of my system
when I tried it with a fresh Fedora Core 2 install, and I've been afraid
to try it since.  I see lots of messages flying back and forth about
people having to hand-construct command lines to move specific extents
because of some odd limitation of pvmove.

I also see little hard information about these limitations or why they
exist.  I see all kinds of confused posts stating that this detail or
that detail is the reason some particular operation doesn't work quite
right.

I used to know some of the LVM developers personally, and this list used
to be much more open about the internal workings of LVM and there used
to be people who would state plainly and authoritatively what was
causing some particular problem.  I remember fondly the debates over
getting /boot onto an LVM partition.

I don't know what's happened or why.

From the outside, it seems as if LVM2 (which by all accounts is much
higher quality code) was rushed into production before it was
feature-comparable to LVM1, and all the developers are embarassed about
it and not talking frankly about what's wrong.  If this were not Open
Source, I'd say the company they worked for was discouraging them from
discussing the limitations openly and leaving the users to guess and
talk amongst themselves about them.

Maybe I'm wrong.

*sigh*,
--
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."  --- Thomas Jefferson