[linux-lvm] LVM VG keeps disappearing

Post, Mark K mark.post at eds.com
Wed Apr 27 16:00:38 UTC 2005

Twice now, I've had a VG "disappear" on me when I reboot my system.  These
two instances were widely separated in time, with several reboots in
between.

When the system comes up vgscan runs, but I get this error:
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)

vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data of
volume
group "vg01" from physical volume(s)

vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created

vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume
group

The first time this happened, I wound up just restoring all my logical
volumes from backup.  This time I would like to try to figure out:
1. How to recover from this without restoring everything from backup.
2. Why this happens so that a fix can be created.

So, tell me what I need to provide in the way of diagnostic information, and
I'll collect that.  To start with, this system is a slack/390 operating
system, 64-bit, running a 2.4.26 kernel.  I'm running LVM 1.0.8.

Thanks,

Mark Post