[linux-lvm] lvm2 + 4gb of memroy = problem?

Jon Coulter ledjon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 13:53:06 UTC 2005

We've got a server that uses lvm2 to handle a mysql volume.  When the server
had 2gb of memory, taking a snapshot for backups was perfectly smooth.  When
we added 2gb of memory more (total of 4gb), we started getting fatal errors:

[root at edge1 ~]# lvcreate -L500M -s -n mysqlbk /dev/edge/mysql
  device-mapper ioctl cmd 9 failed: Cannot allocate memory
  Couldn't load device 'edge-mysqlbk'.
  Problem reactivating origin mysql

and dmesg showed:
device-mapper: Unable to allocate hash table space
device-mapper: error adding target to table

This was with all services stopped, so nothing should have been using any of
the 4gb of memory.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--