[linux-lvm] Error in "lvcreate" in LVM2

natasha patil natasha182_pune at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 26 19:36:21 UTC 2005

   Hi,
      I am using mandrake 10.2 , and have installed
      1)device-mapper.1.01.05.tgz
      2)LVM2.2.01.15.tgz
      and have untar the patches in "/usr/src/linux-2.6.11-6mdk"

  I have succesfully created physical volume using :         pvcreate
then  created volume group  using                         :         vgcreate

  [root at localhost ~]# vgdisplay
      --- Volume group ---
      VG Name               volume1
      System ID
      Format                lvm2
      Metadata Areas        2
      Metadata Sequence No  1
      VG Access             read/write
      VG Status             resizable
      MAX LV                0
      Cur LV                0
      Open LV               0
      Max PV                0
      Cur PV                2
      Act PV                2
      VG Size               6.35 GB
      PE Size               4.00 MB
      Total PE              1626
      Alloc PE / Size       0 / 0
      Free  PE / Size       1626 / 6.35 GB
    VG  UUID                zZO4ie-mfY7-st4p-G6ah-tnyf-S5Nt-7AWkzu

  but while creating  logical volumes from volume group i get following messages :

  [root at localhost ~]# lvcreate -L1500 -nshash volume1

    /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
    striped: Required device-mapper target(s) not detected in your kernel
    lvcreate: Create a logical volume

  lvcreate
          [-A|--autobackup {y|n}]
          [--addtag Tag]
          [--alloc AllocationPolicy]
          [-C|--contiguous {y|n}]
          [-d|--debug]
          [-h|-?|--help]
          [-i|--stripes Stripes [-I|--stripesize StripeSize]]
          {-l|--extents LogicalExtentsNumber |
           -L|--size LogicalVolumeSize[kKmMgGtT]}
          [-M|--persistent {y|n}] [--major major] [--minor minor]
          [-m|--mirrors Mirrors]
          [-n|--name LogicalVolumeName]
          [-p|--permission {r|rw}]
          [-r|--readahead ReadAheadSectors]
          [-R|--regionsize MirrorLogRegionSize]
          [-t|--test]
          [--type VolumeType]
          [-v|--verbose]
          [-Z|--zero {y|n}]
          [--version]
          VolumeGroupName [PhysicalVolumePath...]

  lvcreate -s|--snapshot
          [-c|--chunksize]
          [-A|--autobackup {y|n}]
          [--addtag Tag]
          [--alloc AllocationPolicy]
          [-C|--contiguous {y|n}]
          [-d|--debug]
          [-h|-?|--help]
          [-i|--stripes Stripes [-I|--stripesize StripeSize]]
          {-l|--extents LogicalExtentsNumber |
           -L|--size LogicalVolumeSize[kKmMgGtT]}
          [-M|--persistent {y|n}] [--major major] [--minor minor]
          [-n|--name LogicalVolumeName]
          [-p|--permission {r|rw}]
          [-r|--readahead ReadAheadSectors]
          [-t|--test]
          [-v|--verbose]
          [--version]
          OriginalLogicalVolume[Path] [PhysicalVolumePath...]

  [root at localhost ~]# lvcreate -i2 -I8 -l100 -nanothervolume1 volume1

  please help me ....
  what is the problem here?
                                                                       -Shashank K.
                                                                         PhD C.S.