[linux-lvm] Error in "lvcreate" in LVM2

Zak Kipling zak.kipling at cantab.net
Wed Dec 28 17:17:50 UTC 2005

natasha patil wrote:

> then  created volume group  using                         :         vgcreate
>     /proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
>     Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
>     Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.

I'm not familiar with Mandrake at all, but it looks like the
device-mapper is neither compiled into your kernel or loaded as a
module. Try "modprobe dm-mod", which should load the module if it exists
on your system.

(I'd expect it to be built as a module on most distros' stock kernels --
if you've built your own kernel then you need to make sure that you have
included the device mapper either in the main kernel or as a module --
the option is under "Device drivers" -> "Multi-device support (RAID and
LVM)" -> "Device mapper support".)

Hope this helps,

Zak.