[linux-lvm] LVM Woes (hope this isn't a repeat. sorry)

Andrew andy_b at softhome.net
Mon Mar 14 00:48:47 UTC 2005

My problem is that I accidentally left my LVM disks in my system when I
installed windows XP On a seperate drive.  I did not install windows to
either of the LVM's so that should not be an issue.

However when I replaced my linux drive, and booted into linux, I got the
following error when my system tried to start up LVM
(for vgchange -ay)
mog root # vgchange -ay
2 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg0" now active
Logical volume (lv0) contains an incomplete mapping table
Unable to find volume group "vg_samsung"

vg0 is my other lvm which thankfully is still there.

now, whenever I do any of the 'scan' tools (vgscan, pvscan, lvscan) I get the
following errors:
vgscan:
Logical volume (lv0) contains an incomplete mapping table
Unable to find volume group "vg_samsung"

pvscan:
Logical volume (lv0) contains an incomplete mapping table

lvscan:
Logical volume (lv0) contains an incomplete mapping table
Unable to find volume group "vg_samsung"

however, if I do pvdisplay on my 2 drives I get some info
mog root # pvdisplay /dev/hde     <--my 160gig drive, I think the second drive
in the LVM

- --- NEW Physical volume ---
PV Name		/dev/hde
VG Name		/vg_samsung
PV Size		19.84 MB
Allocatable	NO
PE Size (K..)	0
Total PE		0
Free PE		0
Allocated PE	0
PV UUID		fXhdbW-S1KK-lSNs-kGSQ-dsb6-9Kkn-Q7xeTk

That looks bad to me, but the first drive in the volume looks ok:

mog root # pvdisplay /dev/hdg <--my 80gig drive
- --- Physical volume ---
PV Name		/dev/hdg
VG Name		/vg_samsung
PV Size		74.56 GB / not usable 31.57 MB
Allocatable	yes (but full)
PE Size (K..)	16384
Total PE		4770
Free PE		0
Allocated PE	4770
PV UUID		aE0Tfs-UX8r-oTma-Eo35-mxSg-ZT5w-ZHPPTW

so it looks like windows only blasted the second of the two drives  (which
came first in the bios) (or the
first one it found?)

I am desperate to get this data back (and unfortunately my /etc/lvm/backup or
archive are empty :(

Thankyou very much in advance!
- --

- --Andrew Bovill
PGP fingerprint:  A00A 1E75 3AB0 610E 2300  6855 1890 C61E E590 F777
Link to PGP key:  http://linuxboy.dyndns.org/~andy/public_key.gpg