[linux-lvm] How to turn LVM off

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Thu Oct 13 23:11:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 11:59 -0600, Kirk Korver wrote:
> Hello,

Hi!

[...]
> I see it is asking about VolGroup00. This is LVM stuff. I don't want LVM
> on the card. What is really weird is that all of this is happening
> before the rc.sysinit is started.

As you can see from the fact that nash is running, it is the initrd
running at this point. That's why rc.sysinit hasn't started running yet.

> I don't find any command line options
> to the kernel to turn LVM off. All of the LVM options are "modules" when
> I built my kernel.

Indeed, but they are probably on the initrd image and loaded by the nash
script.

> So my question is quite simply,
> What do I have to do so that LVM is NOT used?? Any other options?

You'd probably have to rebuild the initrd to fit your liking. There is a
script that comes with FC called "mkinitrd" that builds an initrd with
the modules and programs necessary to mount to root filesystem. Probably
that script detected that you're using LVM, and it is thus trying to
recreate that environment. I don't know if it's possible to configure
mkinitrd to an environment different from the one currently running. If
I were you, I'd unzip the initrd image, mount it, and edit it manually.

Hope it helps.

Fredrik Tolf