[linux-lvm] Problem with LVM2 and device-mapper

Valery Mitsyn vvm at mammoth.jinr.ru
Thu Oct 20 23:20:21 UTC 2005

Patrick,

I am using Scientific Linux CERN SLC release 4.1.
got the some problem after upgrade too.

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Patrick Lawrence (LVM List) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using CentOS 4 and just did an upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 on my x86_64
> home server.  After a reboot, one of my vol groups stopped working.
> It's a volume group spread across 2 disks and when I try to activate
> that volgroup I get the following:
>
> <snip>
> [root at hetfield mapper]# vgchange -ay VolGroup02
>   device-mapper ioctl cmd 9 failed: Invalid argument
>   Couldn't load device 'VolGroup02-DVD'.
>   1 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup02" now active

  Got the some problem after upgrade too.
For me it was "/sbin/dmraid -i -a y" in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
which grab and lock somehow PV on PDC (hmmm. RAID card).
I don't know how it happend in details but looks like
"rpm -e dmraid" should help.

> <snip>
>
> and the relevant portion of the /var/log/messages has:
>
> <snip>
> Oct 17 08:45:07 hetfield kernel: device-mapper: dm-linear: Device lookup
> failed
> Oct 17 08:45:07 hetfield kernel: device-mapper: error adding target to
> table
> <snip>
>
> My other two volgroups are working fine.  It's just this third one that
> has problems.
>
> I did quite a bit of googling yesterday, but I didn't come up with much
> although I have to confess that I know jack about the device mapper...
>
> Is there anything I can provide to diagnose the problem further?  Since
> CentOS tracks RHEL4 very closely, I suspect this affects RHEL4 as well.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pat

Best regards,
  Valery Mitsyn