[linux-lvm] LVM over IP network

rarulselvan at sify.com rarulselvan at sify.com
Fri Apr 7 12:59:32 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have 10 Dell workstation on a LAN. Each  workstation has 80 GB hard drive. Two workstations consumed most of the disk space and remaining eight workstations still has plenty of disk space unused.

I am trying to find an optimized way to use the excess space on the those harddrives (about 80 GB x 8 = 800GB) that are scattered over 8 different workstations connected in the LAN.

I do understand that LVM and EVMS are quite useful for managing the disk space in given work station. So I am wondering if there is such thing as LVM over IP network ? so that I can maximize my disk usage. If not, what is my other choice ?

What I want basically, if I could just collect those 800 GB excess space (not utilized) and assign it to the work stations starving for disk space. Is this achievable through LVM or EVMS?

Thanks for any thoughts or info.

Arul