[linux-lvm] LVM. Do i loose everything?

Ming Zhang mingz at ele.uri.edu
Fri Apr 21 20:33:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 01:40 +0300, kyr wrote:
> Hello,
>
>      I wound be thankful if you can answer one simple question that I
> haven't found the answer in all the LVM manuals, FAQ, howtos.
>
> I have a continuous (not stiped) VG consisting of 3 PV (Hard Disks) with
> one LV on EXT3.
>
> If one hard disk fails (hardware) will i loose everything on all disks?

depends on how u define everything. if u have 3 disk and 1 disk fail,
then u lose the data bytes on that disk only. but since u run ext3 on
it. ext3 will not be able to run properly with that. then u will not be
able to read u file out. so u lose u "files".

try not do that with u important data.

ming