[linux-lvm] LVM. Do i loose everything?

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Fri Apr 21 23:12:42 UTC 2006

On Sunday 16 April 2006 16:40, kyr wrote:
> Hello,
>
>      I wound be thankful if you can answer one simple question that I
> haven't found the answer in all the LVM manuals, FAQ, howtos.
>
> I have a continuous (not stiped) VG consisting of 3 PV (Hard Disks) with
> one LV on EXT3.
>
> If one hard disk fails (hardware) will i loose everything on all disks?

I'm far from an expert with LVM, but I think the answer is a safe No.  And
even further, you could possibly recover the data on the damaged drive (see
http://grover.open2space.com/node/17).

The data stored on that particular drive might become in accessible (without
any recovery efforts), but the data sitting on the other drives should still
be there.

I'm taking a guess based on what I saw during a data recovery process, but...
It looks like the drive/partition is tagged as being part of a volume, and
then the appropriate file system is applied.  If this is the case, then
loosing a drive should not corrupt your filesystem on the remaining drives.

I am not comfortable enough with my knowledge to say this is anywhere near
authoritative.  But I do hope I helped...

Shawn