[linux-lvm] Running LVM on shared LUNs

Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE
Tue Aug 8 08:13:10 UTC 2006

Hi,

One way to take care of this would be to use clustering software such as
HP's MC Service Guard. I'm assuming you want to make an HA cluster of some
sort because you specified that both servers do not need to access the same
FS simultaneously (in which case you'd want to use VXFS or GFS).

Using Service Guard, the FS in question is part of a cluster package, and
it is mounted by the cluster package, and is thus not specified in the
fstab.The mounting or unmounting of the FS is taken care of when the
package switches from one server to another, thus bringing its FSes with
it. The SAN LUNs are seen on both sides ofcourse, and the LVM config is
copied to both sides as well, its just only active and mounted on one side
at a time. This works very well.

-Christian