[linux-lvm] raidtools/mdadm stability

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Thu Feb 2 17:03:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:15:52AM -0600, Don Shesnicky wrote:
> Couple of quick questions on raidtools/mdadm if anyone cares to comment:
>
> 1. In the raid faq it states "However, if you find raidtools cumbersome
> or limited, mdadm (multiple devices admin) is an extremely useful tool
> for running RAID systems. It can be used as a replacement for the
> raidtools, or as a supplement." I want to mirror the root drives of a
> RHEL4 ES U2 system, what's the prefered method for stability -
> raidtools,
> mdadm or mdadm with raidtools.

raidtools is obsolete, so mdadm.

> 2. I take it from a previous posting I can mirror my two root drives,
> installed the MBRs and be good to go to boot off either drive, that
> the mirror is not at the bit level and does not include the MBR?

The mirror is at the block device level, e.g. if your root fs is
/dev/sda1 then that's what you mirror.  So you could install an MBR
on sda and sdb for example.

> 3. Is RHEL4 ES Update2 generally stable or is there something that
> could burn us here?

I have had no issues whatsoever with LVM or mdadm in RHEL3 or 4.
Apart from LVM snapshots, of course.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB