[linux-lvm] Ubuntu distro with lvm2, raid 1, not booting anymore.

Maciej Słojewski mslonik at poczta.onet.pl
Thu Feb 2 18:51:33 UTC 2006

Welcome!

I have the serious problem with booting of my machine. It is run on
Ubuntu distro (5.10), with lvm2 raid 1 on two identical sata hard disks.
Lilo bootloader. The problem is that after small change in lilo.conf and
running /sbin/lilo my system is no longer bootable. I see 'kernel panic'
message. When I try to run lilo again (from Ubuntu Live! cd) I see some
comments somehow related to dev-mapper:

Warning: /proc/partitions does not match /dev directory structure
Name change: /dev/cloop 0 -> /tmp/dev.0
(...)
Fatal: is_primary: Not a valid device

I don't know how to handle these problesm. Looking over net didn't help
me. So I decided to write on this mailing list. If you can help me anyway,
even just redirecting me to appropriate group / chanel where people will
help me to deal with these problem, I will appreciate it. Thanks
in advance!

My lilo version is 22.6.1
dev-mapper version is 1.11.0
kernel (default of Ubuntu 5.10): 2.6.12-10-386

I will quote the kernel messages:
RAMDISK: ran out of compressed data
invalid compressed format (err=1)
VFS: Cannot open root device "fd02" or unknow-block (253,2)
Please append a correct "root=" root option
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs
unknown-block (253,2)

That is all. It looks like kernel is doing some hardware recognition and
then stops.

Kind regards,
Maciej Slojewski (mslonik)