[linux-lvm] Ubuntu distro with lvm2, raid 1, not booting anymore.

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Fri Feb 3 07:31:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 07:51:33PM +0100, Maciej S?ojewski wrote:
>Welcome!
>
>I have the serious problem with booting of my machine. It is run on
>Ubuntu distro (5.10), with lvm2 raid 1 on two identical sata hard disks.
>Lilo bootloader. The problem is that after small change in lilo.conf and
>running /sbin/lilo my system is no longer bootable. I see 'kernel panic'
>message. When I try to run lilo again (from Ubuntu Live! cd) I see some
>comments somehow related to dev-mapper:
>
>Warning: /proc/partitions does not match /dev directory structure
>Name change: /dev/cloop 0 -> /tmp/dev.0
>(...)
>Fatal: is_primary: Not a valid device

what is exactly that you are doing to reinstall lilo?
i don't use ubuntu, but generally:
you should mount your original root fs on, say, /root
mount --bind /dev /root/dev
mount --bind /proc /root/proc
mount --bind /sys /root/sys
chroot /root /sbin/lilo

>I will quote the kernel messages:
>RAMDISK: ran out of compressed data
>invalid compressed format (err=1)
looks like your initrd is hosed
check that lilo is pointing to a correct initrd and/or regenerate
initrd. (no i don't remember the debian way to regenerate initrd)

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\