[linux-lvm] SAN setup with host mirrored disks

Kelly Sauke ksauke at fastenal.com
Thu Jul 13 18:03:34 UTC 2006

Michael Loftis wrote:

> --On July 13, 2006 12:04:01 AM +0200 "Fiederling, Daniel"
> <daniel.fiederling at warema.de> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm relatively new to SAN setup with linux boxes, so maybe this is a
>> very
>> easy question. Today I set up a linux box with two qlogic hbas, each one
>> is connected to a EMC Clarion. So I got two disks (/dev/sda and
>> /dev/sdb)
>> from my storages that I have to mirror on the host system. There is on
>> mirror set up in the san environment!
>
> Uhhhmm...Clariion Can and does do RAID 0,1,5, as well as any
> combination of the three.  Depending on the model of Clariion and your
> specific setup (esp depending on if you're using powerpath or not)
> you'll see one or two 'copies' of each LUN.
>
> In fact I'd highly recomment using the Clariion to do all of your real
> RAID stuff, and if you can't use powerpath, then use md *just* for
> failover. You do not need MD for actual RAID with a Clariion.
> Navisphere will allow you to configure mirrors of sets of drives.

Do the Raiding on the Clariion.  Then use either PowerPath or mpio (on
RHEL 4 U3 or newer) to do your failover.  If you use md for your
failover layer you may get IO errors on the non-active paths.  You need
something that is aware of the clariion setup and that would be
PowerPath or the shipped mpio.