[linux-lvm] Boot Mgr support for '/boot' on LVM2 volumes ?

John Smith lbalbalba at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 16:46:45 UTC 2006

Hi.

I was wondering if booting from an LVM2 volume group is supposed to be
supported with lilo (preferred) or GRUB. For example, is it supported
to use a '/boot' device, when that is a LVM2 volume residing in an
LVM2 volume group ?

Last time I checked, having /boot on a LVM2 device using lilo was
still considered 'unsupported', or at least considered to be "not a
very good idea". If I recall correctly, this had something to do with
the fact that "/boot" had to be located on a linear, contiguous volume
for bootloaders like lilo and grub to be able to read it.  And that
with something like LVM, it's on very easy for a volume to be
non-contiguous.

Is this still the case with the current release of LVM2, or has this
been worked-around in current releases ?

Sincerely,

John Smith.