[linux-lvm] Importing a VG with existing name

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Wed May 3 16:32:04 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 01:33:13PM +0200, Oliver Tennert wrote:
> can anybody tell me what the best way is to import a volume group, when the
> vg's name already exists in the system?

Version 2.02.05 lets you rename it by giving its uuid to vgrename
in place of its name.

Prior to that you can set up a one-off lvm.conf file with filters that
exclude everything except the disk(s) being imported and use the
LVM_SYSTEM_DIR environment variable to point lvm at the temporary
configuration file.

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com