[linux-lvm] problem when creating a volumegroup on an external drive

Joep Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sun May 14 21:42:03 UTC 2006

Markus Laire wrote:

> On 5/13/06, Joep Blom <jlblom at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
>
>> One last question: Why can't  I use "pvcreate /dev/sda" but have to use
>> "pvcreate /dev/sda1" (as the LV HOW-TO stated the former).
>> Hope you can help me out with this as well.
>

> pvcreate man-page says that:
> <quote>
> For *whole disk devices only* the partition table must be erased,
> which will effectively destroy all data on that disk. This can be done
> by zeroing the first sector with:
>  dd if=/dev/zero of=PhysicalVolume bs=512 count=1
> </quote>

Thanks, Marcus,
I have read that also but pvcreate (lvm2) worked nevertheless. I only
have the warning with fdisk that it encounters an "invalid flag 0x000 in
partition table 4 which will be corrected with write". So I simply don't
use fdisk on that disk and I don't know if this is harmful. But thanks
for reminding me.
Joep