[linux-lvm] problem when creating a volumegroup on an external drive

Markus Laire malaire at gmail.com
Mon May 15 08:42:39 UTC 2006

On 5/15/06, Joep Blom <jlblom at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> Markus Laire wrote:
> > pvcreate man-page says that:
> > <quote>
> > For *whole disk devices only* the partition table must be erased,
> > which will effectively destroy all data on that disk. This can be done
> > by zeroing the first sector with:
> >  dd if=/dev/zero of=PhysicalVolume bs=512 count=1
> > </quote>
> >
> Thanks, Marcus,
> I have read that also but pvcreate (lvm2) worked nevertheless. I only
> have the warning with fdisk that it encounters an "invalid flag 0x000 in
> partition table 4 which will be corrected with write". So I simply don't
> use fdisk on that disk and I don't know if this is harmful. But thanks
> for reminding me.

Well, since fdisk is "Partition table manipulator for Linux", you
clearly shouldn't use it on disks which don't have a partition-table.
And if you use whole disk for LVM, you don't have any partitions there
(and shouldn't have partition-table either), and so fdisk is of no use
for such a disk.

--
Markus Laire