[linux-lvm] Removing a Bad disk from LVM w/o a new disk

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Mon May 22 14:24:15 UTC 2006

Current situation is that I have a bad disk /dev/sdb1 in an existing lvm
partition. (sda1/sda4/sdb1)

I would like to remove it from the VG. (There are no free PE anywhere.
I've maxed it out.)

I've already reduced the existing VG to the size of sda1+sda4
partition.

I would like to remove entirely the Physical Extents from the volume
group. It doesn't seem like there's a way to do this w/o putting another
disk inside?

I'm sure that's not true. Doing a

$vgreduce storage /dev/sdb1
Physical volume "/dev/sdb1" still in use

I have no idea what/who is using it. fuser/lsof etc doesn't show up
anything.

I actually don't much care about the data, I've already copied it
somewhere else. So, instead of just blowing up everything, I rather take
this as a learning experience.

--
Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com>