[linux-lvm] realtime snapshot or ?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri May 19 13:52:55 UTC 2006

On 4/30/06, Omer Faruk Sen <omer at faruk.net> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I have found that nbd ord drbd does similar things. But nbd just exports a
> block device (JUST ONE block device) so other machines can mount it. DRBD
> is closer to what I want but I can't mount drbd on secondary (backup
> machine) even as read-only

You should check out drbd 0.8 and see if it still has the same restriction.
0.8 is in beta or pre-release.  It is supposed to allow "active/active"
environments.  I believe a clustered FS like GFS is intended to be used with
the new functionality, but it may be that the slave can do a read-only
mount.  If not, you could use GFS as your filesystem and achieve your goal.
The big trouble with that is locking.  I'm pretty sure GFS only does file
locking.  Not very helpful for a DB.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer