[linux-lvm] fsck.ext3 truncates boot sequence

Arlequín arle at adinet.com.uy
Wed Jan 10 16:50:21 UTC 2007

Hello, list.

I've a LVM working OK. I plugged an externar USB harddisk and Linux
emulates SCSCI, so it is seen as /dev/sdc1

I formated it as ext3 and the added it as a new Physical Volume in order
to gaim more disk space. Then, create a new logical volume, say
<LOGICAL_VOLUME_**new**> and was up'n'running OK.

I assume that the USB device is recognized before LVM mount, since the
boot sequence:

   Setting up LVM Volume Groups ...done
   Starting Enterprise Volume Management System ...done
   Checking all file systems

      fsck.ext3 Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open
/dev/sdc1

      the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct
ext2 filesystem. if the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap ou ufs or something else), then the superblock
e2fsck - 8193 <device>

/dev/<VOLUME_GROUP>/<LOGICAL_VOLUME_**new**> clean

    fsck failed Please repair manually

Freezes there and only can continue starting the system using Ctrl+D.
Please note that after that the system works just fine, LVM & USB device
included.

Tried to run fsck.ext on that parition and says it's clean.

What am I missing to solve?
How can I avoid the boot sequence being stopped?

Thanks in advance. Cheers.
--
Arlequín                         _o)
arle_AT_adinet_DOT_com_DOT_uy    / \\