[SOLVERD] Re: [linux-lvm] fsck.ext3 truncates boot sequence

Arlequín arle at adinet.com.uy
Thu Jan 11 13:13:21 UTC 2007

El 10/01/2007 13:50, Arlequín escribió :
> Hello, list.
>
> I've a LVM working OK. I plugged an externar USB harddisk and Linux
> emulates SCSCI, so it is seen as /dev/sdc1
>
> I formated it as ext3 and the added it as a new Physical Volume in order
> to gaim more disk space. Then, create a new logical volume, say
> <LOGICAL_VOLUME_**new**> and was up'n'running OK.
>
> I assume that the USB device is recognized before LVM mount, since the
> boot sequence:
>
>   Setting up LVM Volume Groups ...done
>   Starting Enterprise Volume Management System ...done
>   Checking all file systems
>
>      fsck.ext3 Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open
> /dev/sdc1
>
>      the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct
> ext2 filesystem. if the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap ou ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
> e2fsck - 8193 <device>
>
> /dev/<VOLUME_GROUP>/<LOGICAL_VOLUME_**new**> clean
>
>    fsck failed Please repair manually
>

> Freezes there and only can continue starting the system using Ctrl+D.
> Please note that after that the system works just fine, LVM & USB device
> included.
>
> Tried to run fsck.ext on that parition and says it's clean.
>
> What am I missing to solve?
> How can I avoid the boot sequence being stopped?
>
> Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Removing the line which mounted the USB device from /etc/fstab did the
trick.

Used to be:
# External USB disk
/dev/sdc1       /mnt/usb        ext3    defaults        1       2
#LABEL=/mnt/usb   /mnt/usb      ext3    defaults        1       2
# External USB disk as LVM Volume '**new**'
/dev/<VOLUME_GROUP>/<LOGICAL_VOLUME_**new**>  /mount/point  ext3
suid,dev,exec  0  2

Commenting the line
#/dev/sdc1       /mnt/usb        ext3    defaults        1       2

solved it! :)
--
Arlequín                         _o)
arle_AT_adinet_DOT_com_DOT_uy    / \\