[linux-lvm] LVM2 resync speed problems

John Wang jwang at dataseekonline.com
Tue Jul 3 15:58:08 UTC 2007

Hello

Those WD RE drives are intended for use with TLER aware RAID controllers and
should not be directly attached to a server through a regular controller as
individual drives.

The reason is that TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery) will occasionally not
bother to recover data if it takes longer than a set period of time to do
so, this does not bother a TLER aware controller since it would just rebuild
the data from parity and would know enough that it's not really a failed
drive unless the issue keeps reoccurring in the same spot.   If you use
these drives as regular drives, they could report more errors than a non RE
drive which is probably why you're getting the resyncs.   The difference
between the two systems could simply be the number of bordeline flaws on the
drive which would normally be recovered by the drive itself but is being
passed on up to the OS as the drive assumes the RAID controller could make
better decisions as to what to do.

You may want to get yourself a Promise RAID controller as they are
considered TLER aware although their approach is quite simple i.e.: retry
several times before assuming it's a hard error (might as well not have TLER
with that approach).   Better yet, get non-RE drives...

Regards,
John