[linux-lvm] Pvmove Cannot Be Aborted

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Jul 5 16:41:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007, Jim Schatzman wrote:

> I made the mistake of trying to use pvmove to move any good data from a bad
> disk to a new identical good disk in an LV. Unfortunately, the Pvmove failed
> in midoperation. It cannot now be aborted, presumably because of the bad
> disk.

I've noticed that LVM has big problems handling partially failed drives.
I think this is largely due to the difficulty of testing.  It is simple
enough to simulate completely failed drives.  I've tested this by disconnecting
the power from a drive while the system is running (I'm sure there are
safer ways.)  However, a partially failed drive (lots of bad sectors) is
another matter.

I wish there was a SMART command to a drive that would tell it to pretend a
range of sectors is bad until further notice (without actually remapping said
sectors).  This would be a great help is debugging the error handling of things
like LVM.  In fact, maybe there already is such a feature in SMART, and
it just isn't widely known.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>