[linux-lvm] snapshots can't be deactivated

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Jul 19 14:52:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Joachim Banzhaf wrote:

> > Are my steps right in principle? Did I forget to do something before or
> > after removing?
>
> I am by no means an expert on lvm, so dont take this too seriously: shouldn't
> there be an lvchange -an yourlv before lvremove? Maybe this active status is
> still hanging around somewhere although you can force the remove?

When I try lvchange -an C4_SNAP, it always fails.  So I have had to force
the lvremove in the backup script.  I am nervous about this, and already asked
why this is the case.  When reading about the "active" flag, it seems
to have something to do with shared SAN storage volume groups, so perhaps we
are not supposed to deactivate LVs for simple single machine systems.  But the
error from lvremove is disconcerting.  If I force it, what if there is
a *different* error that I really *don't* want to force?

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>