[linux-lvm] LVM and Windows

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Sat Mar 10 00:47:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Lin Shen (lshen) wrote:

> I'm not talking about Samba. If I create a FAT file system on top of
> logic volume on a piece of Compact Flash in a Linux box, can I pull out
> the Compact Flash and insert it into a Windows box and use it? I know
> this should work if the FAT file system is created on a hard partition
> instead of a logic volume?

Short answer: no

Long answer: While Windows does not directly understand Linux LVM, there are
ways to hide LVM from Windows via another software layer, for e.g. a
virtual machine or a driver.  So depending on what exactly you mean by "Windows
box", you could be able to read the LV.  But a bare metal unmodified install of
Windows can not read the LV.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>