[linux-lvm] Adding PVs to a group

Sun Apr 20 16:42:52 UTC 2008

On 4/19/2008, David Robinson (zxvdr.au at gmail.com) wrote:
>> Since I'm no longer using the second partition at all, wouldn't it
>> be simpler/cleaner to just delete the second partition entirely
>> (using fdisk) and then just resize /dev/sdb1 to include the new free
>> space using vgextend?
>>
>> Or will that not work?

> That will work. You'll need to run pvresize after resizing the
> partition, and you wouldn't need to use vgextend.

Thanks for taking the time to hold my hand a little through this David...

OT: this list seems a little on the dead side... is there a more active
LVM oriented list that you are aware of?

Anyway...

Ok, so I guess the only question I have is - does it matter?

Is my following evaluation correct? :

It is much simpler - because I can do this without rebooting - to just do:

vgextend vg2 /dev/sdb2, then

lvextend -L+100G /dev/vg2/var, then

resize_reiserfs -f /dev/vg2/var

than it is to:

delete /dev/sdb2, reboot, then

resize /dev/sdb1, reboot, then

run pvresize, *then*

run lvextend...

So, again - does it really matter? Is having my vg2 in one big LVM
partition 'better' than having it consist of two different partitions?

I'm thinking it does *not* matter, so will most likely go with the
first/easiest option, unless you (or someone else) provides a good
reason to take option 2...

Thanks again,

--

Best regards,