[linux-lvm] Adding PVs to a group

David Robinson zxvdr.au at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 22:40:26 UTC 2008

> OT: this list seems a little on the dead side... is there a more active
> LVM oriented list that you are aware of?

The list is active, but its quiet on weekends ;)

> Ok, so I guess the only question I have is - does it matter?

It doesn't really matter. Either method will work fine. I'd prefer to
remove the partition, but that's only to keep things tidy - I don't like
having unnecessary partitions.

> Is my following evaluation correct? :
>
> It is much simpler - because I can do this without rebooting - to just do:
>
> vgextend vg2 /dev/sdb2, then
>
> lvextend -L+100G /dev/vg2/var, then
>
> resize_reiserfs -f /dev/vg2/var
>
> than it is to:
>
> delete /dev/sdb2, reboot, then

You could modify the partition table in one step rather than two. Use
fdisk to delete both partitions then create a new partition that spans
the entire device (just make sure that you create the partition with the
same start block). The end result should look something like:

/dev/sdb1               1       58352   468712408+  8e  Linux LVM

> resize /dev/sdb1, reboot, then

You may not need to reboot at all... you could use "partprobe" or
"blockdev --rereadpt", but check /proc/partitions to make sure that the
kernel knows of the new partition table. I've seen instances where
partprobe doesn't actually cause the partition table to be refreshed.

> run pvresize, *then*
>
> run lvextend...
>
> So, again - does it really matter? Is having my vg2 in one big LVM
> partition 'better' than having it consist of two different partitions?

There's no difference, LVM doesn't care.

--Dave