[linux-lvm] F7 will not boot after running backup w/snapshot

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Wed Apr 30 00:53:17 UTC 2008

I ran a backup today with a snapshot.  Sometime after the backup
completed but before I could unmount and lvremove the snapshot the
system became hung.  No choice but to cold boot.  When the system came
up it showed a kernel panic on the screen.  Looking back up the screen I
could see that it could not find a device with UUID blahblah for
VolGroup00 (which is where the / drive is located) and then VolGroup00
not found.  So ok, no problem, I just figure that the VolGroup00 is
inconsistent and I can deal with this in rescue mode.  Wrong.  When I
boot the F7 rescue from the dvd it says "You don't have any Linux
partitions..."  What!?  I go into the shell but there is nothing under
/mnt/sysimage.  So how do I recover from this?  How could a snapshot
cause all this?

Gerry