[linux-lvm] How to 'copy' a volume?

Erich Weiler weiler at soe.ucsc.edu
Fri Jan 4 18:42:57 UTC 2008

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
>> The machine then had a kernel panic (I think).  I'm remote so I'm not
>> sure, but I'll be going in soon to check on it.  Not a critical system
>> so no big deal.  I'll let everyone one what I see at the console.
>
> Could be very slow.  On one of my systems, a blocksize of 300k is optimal.
> The default block size is usually 512 bytes.
>
> # dd if=/dev/volgroup00/original of=/dev/volgroup00/clone bs=300k

It was probably slow, as you say, but it turns out our machines were
powered off by one of the other guys in our group because the UPS was
draining fast.  Power was lost because of a major storm on the central
California coast.

I have a feeling it was working but was interrupted.  I'll try again
when power is restored...

Thanks so much for your input!

-erich