[linux-lvm] Crashed disk with LVM

Hiamal hiamall at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 01:06:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Jan 4, 2008 9:20 AM, PeS <pes at sandbox.cz> wrote:

> Hiamal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have tow disks(hda and hdb) where tow partitions(hda2 and hdb1) a
> > part of one LVM group VG01.
> > Now disk hdb has crashed and I'am trying to save the data on hdb1 to
> > another disk.
> > I tried with knoppix dumping(dd) hda2(works) and hdb1(don't work) and
> > I also tried activating the lvm group and dd the lvm volume but when
> > dd comes to hdb1 the disk just hacks and sounds noisy :-P
>
> Instead of dd try dd_rescue. It's able to skip errors on failed disc and
> read the rest.
>
> > What should I do?
>
> During dumping, prepare you regular backup plan ;-)

That was my backup server...

Anyway I solved the prob running ddrescue from a LiveCD dumping the
recovered data to a file on a new disk. It took
 ca 4 days for ddrescue to do the jobb. After that I had to mounted
the dumped file, activated the LVM vol's and was abel to recover
almost all the data.

/h