[linux-lvm] LVM limits?

Ehud Karni ehud at unix.mvs.co.il
Tue Jan 29 10:04:35 UTC 2008

I think this is quiet off topic, so this is my last reply.

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:27:13 Chris Cox wrote:

> Let's say you want to make a copy of your 5TB filesystem... how long
> does that take?
>
> My point (washed away in silly talk) is that operations on large
> filesytems can take a VERY long time.  Just looking at the (very)
> trivial examples and not looking that the problem at a whole doesn't
> solve the problem (as much as we'd like to think that it does).

I agree to your basic point, but what is your solution ?
Even if you have distributed FSs, you still have to back it all,
keep its integrity and manage it somehow. I don't see how it is
a lesser problem.

The basic problem is that the data we hold grows faster than the
software/hardware capabilities (or they are unreasonably priced).

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign