[linux-lvm] LVM limits?

Chris Cox chris_cox at stercomm.com
Tue Jan 29 16:16:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 12:04 +0200, Ehud Karni wrote:
> I think this is quiet off topic, so this is my last reply.
>
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:27:13 Chris Cox wrote:
> >
> > Let's say you want to make a copy of your 5TB filesystem... how long
> > does that take?
> >
> > My point (washed away in silly talk) is that operations on large
> > filesytems can take a VERY long time.  Just looking at the (very)
> > trivial examples and not looking that the problem at a whole doesn't
> > solve the problem (as much as we'd like to think that it does).
>
> I agree to your basic point, but what is your solution ?
> Even if you have distributed FSs, you still have to back it all,
> keep its integrity and manage it somehow. I don't see how it is
> a lesser problem.

The solution... create and use multiple filesystems rather than
one big  one.

> The basic problem is that the data we hold grows faster than the
> software/hardware capabilities (or they are unreasonably priced).

It's growing much, much faster.

Can you imagine if every machine at a 10,000 person shop had
one of those inexpensive terabyte drives... AND somehow they
manage to fill the space up... let's say 50% ... AND then you
have to back it all up?

It's not just a large filesystem problem...

:)