[linux-lvm] sector zero on a Logical Volume

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Sun Jul 13 21:51:57 UTC 2008

I am hoping that someone on this mailing list is expert enough to answer my
question:

Is there any reason that sector 0 on a Logical Volume should not be all zeros?

I guess I am really asking if any filesystem uses sector 0 on a Logical
Volume.

My problem occurred when I effectively dd'ed a real disk partition on which
grub is installed to a Logical Volume.  When grub in installed into a
partition, it not only installs it's boot code but also makes sector 0 on
that partition have a fake "msdos" partition table and the kernel (and other
software) does not like that at all!!

My solution was to use dd to zero sector 0 and then everything worked ...
could mount the Logical Volume, etc.

Gene