[linux-lvm] Volume group "vgs" not found

Eli Morris emorris at pmc.ucsc.edu
Wed Jul 30 21:44:43 UTC 2008

Hi,

I finally got a chance to reboot and get back to this problem. Here is
a bit from rc.sysinit.

[root at nimbus etc]# more rc.sysinit | grep lvm
if [ -x /sbin/lvm.static -o -x /sbin/multipath.static -o -x /sbin/
dmraid ]; then
     if [ -x /sbin/lvm.static ]; then
	    action $"Setting up Logical Volume Management:" /sbin/lvm.static
vgchange -a y --ignorelockingfailure
		if [ -x /sbin/lvm.static ]; then
			action $"Setting up Logical Volume Management:" /sbin/lvm.static
vgchange -a y --ignorelockingfailure
		if [ -x /sbin/lvm.static ]; then
			action $"Setting up Logical Volume Management:" /sbin/lvm.static
vgchange -a y --ignorelockingfailure

  I think the error happens during boot, because like you said there
is some sort of problem with the initialization script. Here is a
snippet from the lvm2.log during bootup:

lvmcmdline.c:877   Parsing: /usr/sbin/vgchange --monitor y vgs
lvmcmdline.c:905 vgchange  Processing: /usr/sbin/vgchange --monitor y
vgs
lvmcmdline.c:908 vgchange  O_DIRECT will be used
config/config.c:952 vgchange  Setting global/locking_type to 1
locking/locking.c:222 vgchange  File-based locking selected.
config/config.c:929 vgchange  Setting global/locking_dir to /var/lock/
lvm
toollib.c:560 vgchange  Using volume group(s) on command line
locking/file_locking.c:164 vgchange  Locking /var/lock/lvm/V_vgs WB
toollib.c:506 vgchange  Finding volume group "vgs"

Any ideas? Thanks,

Eli