[linux-lvm] How to "clone" a logical volume

Lionel Kernux lionel.kernux at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 15:34:56 UTC 2008

Hi,

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have an LV that is being used as a physical disk for a XEN virtual machine.
I want to "clone" the VM.
lvcreate -L 75G -n virtualmachine_clone_lv VG00
dd if=/path/to/virtualmachine_lv of=/path/to/virtualmachine_clone_lvT

This method would be perfect if it wasn't for the fact that now I have
2 LV's with the same uuid....not good...
Is there a way to do this (ie. copy an LV but change its uuid, or
create a duplicate of the source LV with a new uuid?)

I want to do this WITHOUT using any XEN cloning tools (buggy).

Thanks

LK