[linux-lvm] Can I create a PV that only uses a portion of a partition?

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Mon Mar 10 08:21:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 01:34:16PM -0500, Lionel Kernux wrote:
>I was short-sighted when I created the PV and VG on this machine and
>basically made one giant PV and one giant VG allocating it. Now I'd
>like to be more granular.
creating multiple PV on the same disk makes no sense.
if you were to do this you could well do without LVM and avoid the
hassle.

PV = Physical Volume = LVM idea of a single DISK
VG = Volume Group = a set of PV
LV = Logical Volume = where you put your data

i believe your problem is you created a giant LV, not a giant PV.

in this case you could resize the filesystem that is inside that LV
then lvresize the LV and create more LVs in the remaining space.

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\