[linux-lvm] F7 will not boot after running backup w/snapshot

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Thu May 1 20:57:23 UTC 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 5/1/2008 4:36 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
>>  Without knowing the exact cause of the hang there is no way to know
>> if the ramdisk was at issue.  I doubt it myself, I ran a whole series
>> of backups last night using the ramdisk snapshot and everything went
>> fine.
>
> Actually, I'm not talking about the hang as much as I am the problem
> you had recovering from it...
>
> My questions is, had the snapshot volume been on a regular hard drive,
> would you have had the same problems recovering from the situation.

I don't think anyone could possibly say.

There was corruption involved and that could have occurred for lots of
reasons.  My thought is that even if the ramdisk were not present on the
next boot there should be no reason for that to cause corruption.  There
were no lvm mods made to the rw snapshot which means in essence it was
read-only.  The VG did not mount and nothing wrote to any filesystem on
the VG which means the corruption is probably totally unrelated or is a
bug.  LVM should be robust enough to fully recover from this without any
corruption.  It just should have discarded the old snapshot.  The
original volume should not be affected.  But as I said, I suspect there
may be a bug.  Probably some scenario is not being handled in the code.

Gerry