[linux-lvm] Will LVM2 ever be able to do striped mirrors "raid 10"?

malahal at us.ibm.com malahal at us.ibm.com
Fri Apr 10 10:19:59 UTC 2009

John Hughes [john at Calva.COM] wrote:
> John Hughes wrote:
>>                if (lp->stripes > 1) {
>>                        log_error("mirrors and stripes are currently "
>>                                  "incompatible");
>>                        return 0;
>>                }
>>
>> Should I just stick with mdadm for my mirroring and striping needs?

You can do it today with some hassle or wait until someone implements a
feature called 'generic layering'. The feature really means, treat some
LVs as PVs!

How can you do raid10 today? Create two raid0 LVs. Lets us call these
lvgroup0/lv0 and lvgroup0/lv1. Now create raid1 lv in lvgroup1 where
lvgroup1's PVs are lvgroup0/lv0 and lvgroup0/lv1.

Isn't that a rai10 volume?

Thanks, Malahal.