[linux-lvm] Will LVM2 ever be able to do striped mirrors "raid 10"?

John Hughes john at Calva.COM
Fri Apr 10 10:48:35 UTC 2009

malahal at us.ibm.com wrote:
> John Hughes [john at Calva.COM] wrote:
>
>> John Hughes wrote:
>>
>>>                if (lp->stripes > 1) {
>>>                        log_error("mirrors and stripes are currently "
>>>                                  "incompatible");
>>>                        return 0;
>>>                }
>>>
>>> Should I just stick with mdadm for my mirroring and striping needs?
>>>

> You can do it today with some hassle or wait until someone implements a
> feature called 'generic layering'. The feature really means, treat some
> LVs as PVs!
>
> How can you do raid10 today? Create two raid0 LVs. Lets us call these
> lvgroup0/lv0 and lvgroup0/lv1. Now create raid1 lv in lvgroup1 where
> lvgroup1's PVs are lvgroup0/lv0 and lvgroup0/lv1.
>
> Isn't that a rai10 volume?

To increase the chances of surviving a double-disk failure it would be
better to raid-0 a bunch of raid-1's.

Are we sure there are no deadlock problems with LVM2 layered on top of LVM2?