[linux-lvm] Using pvmove with a clustered VG

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Fri Feb 13 16:39:14 UTC 2009

Christopher Smith wrote:
> I want to use pvmove to move some LVs in a clustered VG off some
> specific PVs so those PVs can be removed.
>
> The LVs are used for Xen VMs, running in a cluster of 4 Xen hosts.  The
> PVs are LUNs on a fibre channel attached SAN.
>
> I have constructed a test environment to try out the basic theory before
> moving onto more specific testing on SAN-attached hosts, however, it
> seems that LVs cannot be moved unless they are deactived:

For pvmove of active clustered volumes you need cmirror
(clustered mirror target kernel module + userspace)
(which is not available in 5.2 release, should be in 5.3)

You can use pvmove on exclusively activated volume (on one node) only.

> I also found another reply to the earlier thread, that only went to
> linux-cluster:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-cluster@redhat.com/msg04365.html
>
> pvmove  Error locking on node clustertest01.syd.nighthawkrad.net:
> device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
> pvmove  Unable to reactivate logical volume "pvmove0"
> pvmove  ABORTING: Segment progression failed.

hmmm. Can you report it to the bugzilla and attach output from lvmdump?
(to Red Hat Bugzilla, not CentOS)

Milan
mbroz at redhat.com