[linux-lvm] why is pvmove so slow ?

Markus Baertschi markus at markus.org
Fri Feb 13 19:56:50 UTC 2009

I'm reorganizing my disks and use pvmove to move data. The operation is
much slower than waht I expected. My pvmove between two SATA disks is
moving along at around 10MB/s. The disks are capable of 80MB/s when
reading/writing with 'dd'.

I'm used to lvm stuff on AIX and there the pvmove equivalent is as fast as
the underlying hardware and I expected the same on my linux box.

How can I improve the performance ?

Markus
--
  Markus Baertschi             Phone: ++41 (21) 807 1677
  Bas du Rossé 16             Fax  : ++41 (21) 807 1678
  CH-1163, Etoy                Email: markus at markus.org
  Switzerland                  Homepage: www.markus.org