[linux-lvm] Take snapshot on root filesystem

lu ping luping.nju at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 22:46:27 UTC 2009

Hi Folks,

I have a question on the capability of LVM snapshot on root filesystem. I
have my root ("/") sitting on a LVM logical volume and I want to snapshot
it, backup it up and then remove the snapshot. During the snapshot and
removal there can be quite some disk IO activities going on.

So does the lastest LVM could support doing the above job smoothly? I had
experience that snapshot the root filesystem hangs my RHEL 4 system, and I
saw similar reports (
http://www.interworx.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1590.html).
Is this problem fixed now? If so, could somebody explain where the original
problem is, in device mapper, in LVM user space tool, or somewhere else?

Thanks
Ping